Eating healthy is beneficial for more than just your body – there are also foods that are beneficial for your cognitive health! While there is no magic food that can definitely prevent cognitive decline, there are healthy choices you can make to help your brain function better. Our orthodontist in Orangeburg explains what nutritionists recommend below.
Just in the same way that your metabolism relies on healthy food to function well, your brain also needs fresh, nutritious food to keep you sharp. Certain foods that are rich in healthful factors like B-vitamins, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to support brain health. Adding these foods to your regular diet can improve the health of your brain, which could mean better cognitive function.
- Tea and coffee can improve mental function and memory.
- Fatty fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and healthy unsaturated fats. These compounds have been linked to lower blood levels of beta-amyloid, which clumps in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.
- Berries. Research has shown that the flavonoids in berries have been linked with improved memory.
- Leafy greens like broccoli, kale, and spinach are rich in brain-boosting vitamin K, folate, and beta carotene.
- Walnuts are great sources of protein and healthy fats. Walnuts in particular are high in a certain type of omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which might improve memory, lower blood pressure and protect arteries – good for both the brain and heart!
Trying New Recipes
Try some new recipes out at home with these ingredients. A plate of salmon with a leafy green salad and a side of berries and walnuts would check almost all the boxes! But this is a great chance to be creative and get your whole family in the kitchen together!
Contact Our Orthodontist in Orangeburg To Schedule An Appointment!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontics, feel free to contact White Brown Smiles, with a convenient orthodontic office in Orangeburg by clicking here or by calling 803.708.7390.